November is National Novel Writing Month

I'm still working on the outline as I write the opening chapter of my novel. National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo as it's commonly abbreviated, is the ultimate push for those who procrastinate writing the novel they know they must write.

I'm switching between writing and outlining right now. When I get the outline finishes, I'll have to fine-tune it before I accept it as complete. Then the actual writing will pick up. I expect to reach the 50,000 word goal by November 30, if not a few days sooner.

When I look at a chapter outline, it's clear what needs to be written, so it is far better for me to use an outline than not. I'm chomping at the bit to get the outline done.

Right now I'm writing in OpenOffice's word processing text program, but am considering using writing software. The current options I'm considering are “The Novel Factory,” which is still in beta testing but sounds like a very exciting, dynamic program, or the well-known and respected “Scrivener.” I will try to decide over the next two days between these programs.

I really wanted to use the Novel Factory software, but I won't be allowed to blog about the experience while I write, which I would very much like to do. I intend to use the blog to record my goal for the day or the next day to help keep me on course. With Scrivener, no such prohibition is in force, which increases the likelihood that I will use Scrivener for this novel.

Well, back to the novel outline now. There are characters waiting to find out if they will live or die, and a writer waiting to find out, too.

To “Win” this challenge, you must write 50,000 words of your novel and have it validated. There are some nice sponsor offerings that are available to winners only. To see the list of offerings, go to:

http://nanowrimo.org/sponsor-offers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn about & help the program that feeds Jackson's school children & pick up a great read on January 31

Worth dying for

Meet local Jackson area authors for book signing Saturday, April 23, 2022